The Three H Foundation

Heart, Head and Hand - The integration is all. An epic fable about learning to listen. (In other words, a good ol' fantasy novel for women)

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Author's notes 11/28/04

[Author's Notes] Yeah, yeah I know I skipped a day yesterday. And I'm still only averaging about 2000 words a day. Which means that since today is the 27th, there is no way in hell I'll get to 50,000. Oh well, such is life. However, I am eternally grateful to Nanowrimo for starting this. If I hadn't found that site, The Three H Foundation would still only exist in my mind.

This book has been with me for the past 8 years, maybe more. There would be times when someone would be talking to me, and instead I was fighting the good fight alongside Tristan, or laughing at something Kat said, or wondering just how many Donna would bed in a lifetime. I called myself a Dreamer in high school. In some ways I still very much am. Hence the name resigned idealist.

Tristan is the best of me. She is a character drawn from Shaw Brothers movies. A hero with heart. I've been rewatching a ton of Shaw Brothers movies lately and it amazes me how much of my writing sensibilities came from those movies. The whole noble idea of sacrifice - not so noble in Western ideals, but oh in Chinese myths - the sacrificing hero is the most laudable of all. And Chinese women wonder why we stand there and take it. If the Kung-fu movies had it bad, the romantic ones had it worse. The heroines were always beaten down, sacrificing until they spat up blood and only on their death beds did all the others realize the error of their ways. I laugh now, but damn if this thought doesn't run through my head a few times a week.

I was talking to my other last night and I realized where the inspiration for Cece came from - CJ of West Wing. I can't wait to see if Agatha and Remy will talk Cece into doing the Jackal! Points to those of you who know what I'm talking about.

I reread my old chapters yesterday. TONS of continuity errors. That's what I get for not rereading the previous chapters before embarking on a new one. I've asked my other to keep track of new words I invent like Sprygo or something like that. That way, I can continue to build a new language. I need my linguistic professor friend to come back to California!

Okay, enough avoidance. Time for the show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home