The Three H Foundation

Heart, Head and Hand - The integration is all. An epic fable about learning to listen. (In other words, a good ol' fantasy novel for women)

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Chapter 7 - Part D (Changing direction)

[Author's Notes] Okay, so it took me more time to get my thoughts together than I thought. I had decided to change the look of the school and the result is, it took me a lot longer to figure out what I wanted. The changes I had decided on, my partner thinks it's too futuristic looking (I had drawn a VERY rough sketch of what I was envisioning). She says it looks like something out of Star Wars. But I keep thinking that that's kind of what I'm shooting for, the school being a more futuristic way of looking at life. In any event, if anything in my imagination, it's like the elf city in LOTR.

I'm going to reprint what I'm editing. I've decided to change it from the moment she sets eyes on the towers. I'm also adding some time to their walk to make the distance a tad more realistic. Thanks for your patience and let's hope I can get about 8-10,000 words under my belt today.

She stopped short at the edge. Tiny slammed into her hard and they both tumbled to the ground. Giggling as they untangled themselves, Tristan found herself leaning on an elbow, looking up the hill.

Her mouth opened gradually widening into an "O". The hill must open up to a large plateau. She craned her neck. The mountain sloped steeply into the valley that the school was located then abruptly encircled the valley from behind sloping gradually into another steep cliff. It seemed as though the mountain was protectively bending a limb around the school. Remy pulled up just then and noticed her gaze. Explaining, she said, "Cece believes that before the school existed, a falling star fell to the earth and slammed into the mountain. Me, I just like that the mountain protects us from all direction 'cept the front."

Tristan stared at the strange structure in front of her. The mountain stretched towards itself in the front, but couldn't form a circle so the school had a stone wall to help the two ends come together. In the middle of the wall, were two large black gates that were open right now. She stared into the gap as Remy rode her horse through.

What was beyond those gates was a structure she had never seen the likes of before. Not that she had seen much in her life, but all the buildings she had seen up to now, she could figure out some sort of explanation on how they built it. She had seen buildings made of stone, of mud, of straw, of wood. But this, this! Before her mind could provide an answer to a question her eyes provided, her eyes found more stuff to wonder about. She glanced at Tiny and noted that he was overwhelmed by the vision as well.

In the gigantic courtyard beyond the gates, three beams rose up out of the ground to arch gracefully into each other, meeting at the top. At the top of the three arches, a spire rose up to reach for the clouds. Joining the three arches were triangular platforms whose corners jutted out in between two of the arches on each side. The platforms widened at the base of the arches and were open to the elements on the lower three levels. The top five levels were enclosed in glass it seemed. Tristan and Tiny stood there staring until Agatha caught up to them.

Agatha stopped her cart next to them and said, "Breathtaking, isn't it? Seeing you two, reminds me of the first time I set eyes on that wondrous building." Both Tiny and Tristan nodded eagerly. Tristan asked a tad shyly, "Who made that? And how?" Agatha laughed and answered, "Well, that'll be part of your education here." Tiny then asked, "How do we get up there?" and pointed toward then enclosed areas.

Tristan pondered a moment then ventured an answer in response to Agatha's questioning look. "I think that's what those beams are for," and was rewarded with an approving smile from Agatha. "Agatha, can we get up to that spire up there?" Agatha nodded but said, "Well, it's possible for you to get up there. Whether it's permissable, that's another question," and she laughed at her own response. "See, that's where Cece, Remy and I sleep, and meet with one another when we don't want students around. Only a few students have been permitted up there, and usually, it's not for rewards, if you know what I mean." Tristan gulped loudly. "Do you kill people up there?"

Agatha's clucking laughter followed. "No, but I dare say Remy's thought about it. Speaking of whom, Tiny, I think Remy's calling for you." Both Tristan and Tiny looked through the open gates and saw Remy gesturing for Tiny to follow. Tiny gave Tristan a quick hug whispering in her ear, "Don't you dare leave without me," and ran off to join Remy.

[Author's Notes] Okay, I'm sitting here grinning like a kid who just found a bag of candy cause I didn't expect Tristan to ask that question, AND I didn't expect Agatha's response. My other was right. I am a lot happier writing than not, so why don't I do this more often? Why do I get so scared of the blank page? I'm kind of glad that I didn't write these past 10 days cause I'm not sure I would've liked what I wrote. But I'm certainly enjoing myself right now. These past four paragraphs pretty much wrote themselves. And I know 60% of this will be tossed out in rewrites, but damn if I'm not happy with some of this stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home